Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Fears

Fred Flintstone

Austin has always loved Halloween.  He loves to dress up.  He has been very consistent in his costume choices over the years.  The first few years he went as whatever I dressed him as, a pumpkin baby, a toddler teddy bear, and a little boy dragon.  Then he got his own ideas.  He was a ninja turtle for several years. Usually Leonardo, but there was a year of Donatello.  Then he moved on to Prince Phillip. Prince Phillip is the prince in Sleeping Beauty, his favorite Disney movie.  I have made several red satin capes over the years.  They got progressively bigger as Austin grew.  One year I rented a Maleficent costume,  she is the witch from Sleeping Beauty.  So this year I was prepared to break out the red cape, brown tunic, black pants, and sword.  But people change.  Rarely for autistic people, but even for them change comes. 

Austin, Alyssa, and I were at the store when he found a Fred Flintstone costume.  That was it.  He wanted to be Fred for Halloween.  I asked him if he wanted to buy the costume and he vigorously shook his head yes.  He loves his Fred costume.  He will try it on for anyone who asks.

Alyssa & Austin
Austin loves to trick or treat.  When the kids where little we would go around the neighborhood with the kids and they would happily collect their candy.  That is a wonderful time in a kids life and most kids love it.  But kids grow up and out grow trick or treating.  Not Austin! He still loves it.  He really doesn't even care about the candy.  He just loves trick or treating.  I wish I could tell you why but I'm not really sure myself.  Usually crowds are too overwhelming for him and he gets overwhelmed and withdrawn.  But not on Halloween.  This is just one of the mysteries of Austins life. 

So why the title of Halloween Fear?  It doesn't refer to Austins fears but to mine.  As Austin has grown older and he still is trick or treating people have gotten, I hate to say it, but rude.  They think he is too old.  They will give him dirty looks, some say aren't you too old, some will throw the candy in the bag with no smile, you get the picture.  And I cringe each time.  On the bright side, Austin doesn't even notice.  He marches happily to the next house.  I know people feel trick or treating is for little kids.  And even though I cringe I guess it doesn't bother me enough to not take him anymore.  But at every door I hold my breath just a little.  As a mother I wish I could protect Austin from the ugly part of life. But in truth Austin teaches me how to handle it. Whether the person who answers the door is kind or rude, Austin just gives them a huge smile and says thank you.  I'm trying to be more like him.

2 comments:

  1. Well I live to far away for Austy to come to my house but 9 or 90 everyone is always greeted with a warm smile and welcome at my door. We have some chalanged kids in our neighbor hood and I loved that their familys took them out to enjoy the great fall evening. One boy was wheelchair bound and singing as loud as he could I got a big hug from his mom as they left. She said I made her night. I thought of Austy as each kid came to our door.

    You go Austin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if sending out a note to your neighbors before Halloween would create more of a welcoming atmosphere for you and your son? just wondering. I have an Autistic son who is 8, and I just found your blog. I look forward to reading about your life with Austin, and thank you for being inspirational to other parents of autistic children!

    ReplyDelete