Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Baby Its Cold Outside

Austin and I are currently in Northern Nevada.  It is definitely colder up north than it is down south in Las Vegas.  Don't get me wrong, believe it or not it does get cold in Las Vegas.  I have sat through many a freezing, windy, soccer-lacrosse-football game.  The wind can get so cold it chills you to the bone.  I always feel sorry for the tourists who come to town and only bring shorts because they think it is always hot in Vegas.  News flash to anyone traveling to Las Vegas.  Las Vegas is smack dab in the middle of a desert.  Deserts get extremely hot and, surprising to many, extremely cold.
Having said all that, I have discovered it is definitely colder up here!

Andrew had his first football playoff game Friday night.  The game started at 7:00 p.m.  At kickoff time it was 29 degrees.  As the night went on it got colder and colder.  I was bundled up in my lined jeans, down coat, mittens, hat, scarf, etc.  You get the picture.  I looked like Ralphie's little brother.  You know, the kid from the movie Christmas Story, whose mother puts so much outside clothing on him that when he falls he cant get up. I was bundled up and still I was cold.

So that brings me to Austin.  I knew it was going to be cold that night so I needed to dress him as warm as he would let me.  Austin doesn't own a pair of jeans.  In the winter he wears sweat pants and in the summer he wears basketball shorts.  Austin doesn't care about fashion, he just wants to be comfortable. Lets be honest with ourselves, wouldn't we all go around in sweats if we weren't caught up in fashion over comfort!


I knew his sweat pants would not be warm enough in these temperatures.  So we put a pair of his dad's lined jeans on him.  Drew is 6'5".  Austin is 5'11".  So we rolled up the bottom of the jeans and cinched them in at the waist with a belt.  The belt was dad's also because who needs a belt with sweats!  Good thing Austin doesn't care about fashion!  Austin refuses to wear more than one shirt at a time.  He does not believe in layering!  He also does not like long sleeves.  If ever I put him in a long sleeve shirt he will push the sleeves all the way up to his arm pits.  So a t-shirt is all I can get him to wear up top.  Next we put his coat on him.  His coat is too big for him but beggars cant be choosers!  One of Andrew's beanies went on his head and a pair of dad's camouflage hunting gloves on his hands. He should be nice and toasty in the sub-freezing temperatures.

At the game I sit in bleachers.  You can only see my eyes peeking out between my hood and scarf.  Austin is behind the bleachers pacing back and forth and flapping his arms.  I decided I need to crawl out of my blanket and check on him just too make sure he hasn't frozen in place.  What do I see?  His coat is unzipped and he has taken his beanie off!  I have him come up to me, sorry I am frozen in place I cant move, so I can zip up his coat.  I feel his hands.  They are toasty warm! What the heck!  Austin definitely must be on to something.  Next game I'm going to pace and flap with him!  I love my flappy life!

1 comment:

  1. My little Aspie does not like to change once he's dressed. If he didn't start out with a jacket he will not put one on & if you start him off with one he will wear it all day (even when it's 100 degrees.

    ReplyDelete